Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Spring, I can taste it!

I saw my first flock of geese today! It was an exciting moment, and it made me think of a poem I'm fond of:
Something Told the Wild Geese

Something told the wild geese
It was time to go.
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered - "Snow."
Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned - "Frost."
All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice,
But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.
Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly -
Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.

Rachel Field
©1957

Well, it doesn't quite apply here. I could try to write one about spring. Let's see...

Something told the wild geese
It was time to come
Though gray sky hovered
Something began to hum
Snow was ripe for sledding,
Ice a mirror made
But despite this wonder
Something at them bade

The next great poet can finish that sometime in the future.

This week is midterms, which means Spring Break is too close for comfort. Meaning, I know I won't actually be able to relax until Friday comes. When it does, however, I will be in shock. What will I do for 9 days? Probably write a couple papers and finish my study abroad application. After that, however, it will be bliss! Just think, I can actually sit around and do nothing for a bit. Granted, it won't be completely mind-numbing. This coming weekend Voodoo Barbie is performing at the Self Employment in the Arts Conference in Naperville, Illinois. It's a little nerve wracking to branch off campus, but thrilling at the same time. After that I head home for 2 days, then I'm flying to California with a couple friends. A few days there, then back home for a day and finally to Beloit. Can't wait! I have instructions from my Dad to go to this beef jerky place in Cali and bring him home a bit of teriyaki lime flavored jerky. Will do! Currently, this is my only plan for my time spent on the coast. Man, I can practically feel the vitamin D my skin so desperately craves.

Speaking of parents, mine visited me this weekend and saw me perform in the Vagina Monologues. We had a nice time, and there's nothing like talking about sex and violence and women's empowerment in front of those that raised you! It was a beautiful production, and I was happy that they could be here for it. Here's a picture my dad took of the cast bow:

Yay ending violence against women!

No comments: